Re: An eMail solution

On Wed, Sep 02, 2020 at 05:32:00PM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> On Wed September 2 2020 16:58:18 Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > That word, "monopoly", I don't think it means what you think it means.
> >
> > https://www.litmus.com/blog/infographic-the-2019-email-client-market-share/
>
> While agreeing with your definition of monopoly I was initially at a loss
> to explain how Apple has 27.6+8.5+7.5=43.6% email client market share with
> only 13% of the smartphone market and 9.4% of the desktop market.

Litmus measures emails actually received and read, not devices sold.

Global marketshare for iphones is probably around 25%, based on web
analytics:

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/worldwide

which measures internet usage, not unique visitors or sales. That's not
far from the Litmus data that suggests 28% of email readers are on
iphones.

Based on current sales, iphones are probably around 17% or so. But why
are you referencing devices sold rather than emails sent when we're
talking about email?

There are hundreds of millions, perhaps billions, of mostly low-cost
Android devices used by people who have never sent or received an email
in their life. Since we're talking about email providers, do you think
those Androids are relevent?

Litmus' methodology is not unbiased, it's probably heavily skewed to the
sort of marketing bot that would use Litmus' services. But unless we had
an all-powerful world government with the power to force everyone to be
tracked in every email they send and receive, any sample or survey of
email is going to have some biases.

And different methodologies will measure different things, with
different biases.

> Then I see that Litmus is analyzing which clients opened their spyware
> emails rather than a scientific survey of the industry.

What's your definition of "a scientific survey"?

How would you do such a scientific survey?

In any case, we're quibbling over relatively minor points here. None of
the tech giants Apple, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Yahoo etc control
the industry or have a monopoly. But they do have an unhealthy influence
due to their enormous sizes and ubiquity.

- Apple spends more efforts trying to protect their users' privacy than
anyone else, even to the point of defying the FBI and US Government, but
they engage in predatory practices against independent developers and
run sweat shops where conditions are so bad the factories install
anti-suicide netting to stop the workers jumping to their deaths.

- Google spends more efforts trying to break people's privacy than
anyone else, with the possible exception of Facebook, but balances that
with at least some checks and balances.

- And Facebook is probably the closest thing to unalloyed evil in the
tech world today, unless you count Amazon as a tech company.

(I hear that Amazon just bought out Hell and sacked the Devil for being
too soft.)

--
Steve