Re: hosts file modification - dll

On Monday 31 August 2020 00:11:31 Stefan Krusche wrote:
> Am Montag 31 August 2020 schrieb William Morder via trinity-users:
> > Okay, the hosts after 127.0.0.1 and 0.0.0.0 are (or ought to be)
> > identical; I just looked at it, and they don't seem to match,
> > although I thought that I had done it already.
>
> In /etc/hosts IP adresses are assigned to domain names. The difference
> is if a domain name is being assigned 0.0.0.0 the request will be send
> to digital nirvana. If it is assigned 127.0.0.1 it will be served by
> localhost, if you have a web server running so you can see there has
> been something blocked/deviated. IIUC.
>
> If you don't have a web server running to respond to these it doesn't
> make sense to use 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts to block domains because the
> system first tries to serve these requests before ending with an error…
> well, I don't know the exact mechanism, but you can save these
> computing cycles by using only 0.0.0.0 in /etc/hosts. Again, IIUC.
>
> > So far as "what has been added" by the present author, well, good
> > luck there. I mostly recognize where my hand has touched, but others
> > may not spot the tell. Mostly you can identify mine by how messy the
> > entries are, especially because they tend to repeat elements in the
> > address, e.g.:
> >
> > 0.0.0.0 fao.org
> > 0.0.0.0 *.fao.org*
> > 0.0.0.0 coml.org
> > 0.0.0.0 *.coml.org*
> > 0.0.0.0 nco-assets.s3.amazonaws.com
> > 0.0.0.0 maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com
> > 0.0.0.0 *maxcdn*
> > 0.0.0.0 *bootstrapcdn*
> > (etc. ... trying to block unwanted elements on annoying pages).
>
> I don't think you can use wildcards in /etc/hosts. That's why
> hosts-based blocklists are usually very, very big. See man hosts:
>
> DESCRIPTION
> This manual page describes the format of the /etc/hosts file.  This
> file is a simple text file that associates IP addresses with hostnames,
> one line per IP address.  For each host a single line should be present
> with the following information:
>
>         IP_address canonical_hostname [aliases...]
>
> Fields of the entry are separated by any number of blanks and/or tab
> characters.  Text from a "#" character until the end of the line is a
> comment, and is ignored.  Host names may contain only alphanumeric
> characters, minus signs ("-"), and periods (".").  They must begin with
> an alphabetic character and end with an alphanumeric character.
> Optional aliases provide for name changes, alternate spellings, shorter
> hostnames, or generic hostnames (for example, localhost).
>
> HTH
>
> Kind regards,
> Stefan

Everybody is welcome to add to the list or modify or correct (although it
would be nice if we all share common resources among ourselves). I don't
claim that I know what I am doing here, or that I know why it works, although
you explain more clearly what I have heard or read elsewhere.

I do know that I see a big difference between using a customized hosts file
instead of (only) depending on ad-blockers. As soon as I overwrite the hosts
file with my list, I find that my system is more stable. It's not only the
ads that get blocked, it seems, but also other unwanted connections.

Bill