Re: Beowulf/Buster upgrade - sudoers list - password problems

On Saturday 29 August 2020 12:46:42 pm E. Liddell wrote:
> Let me ask a question that may sound rather odd at first:  Why do you have
> sudo installed at all?  It doesn't offer much in the way of security
> improvement in a typical one-person home-LAN setup (in fact, if you don't
> take the time to configure it properly, you might even get negative
> security out of it).  Is having to type in logins slightly less often
> really worth the extra opacity?  Or is this a Debian thing, as the problem
> with starting GUI packages from the command line as root seems to be?
>
> (Note that I'm not against sudo in general—there are good use cases for it,
> but they're in larger environments with a sysadmin who takes the time to
> curate /etc/sudoers and related files and make sure every account has
> exactly the access it needs and no more.)

Hi E.,

To the best of my (limited user level) knowledge, it's that.  Debian barfs
running GUI packages from the root command line.  I'm under the impression it
is completely intentional.  I could run anything I wanted to from the CentOS
root command-line (with proper X environment args).

Try either of these to bypass the [imposed] restriction:

tdesu {root-gui}
su-to-root -X -c {root-gui}

Best,
Michael