Re: questions about upgrade to Beowulf/Buster

On Thursday 27 August 2020 09:38:08 am William Morder via trinity-users wrote:
> Okay guys, so I am stumped and confuzzled.
>
> I just did an upgrade to Devuan Beowulf (= Debian Buster), and everything
> went fine; except once up and running, I couldn't download more than a few
> of Trinity's packages.
>
> After trying different repositories, and playing with my sources list, I
> managed to do just a bit better, then I saved the day with some extreme
> voodoo using about config (scrolling through the manpages to find something
> that work). I ended up getting enough the Trinity packages to download by
> using --ignore-hold and dselect-upgrade options. I even searched out the
> links to deb packages on the developers' repositories, and downloaded them
> with wget, so that I could try forcing install using dpkg.
>
> Now at least (at last) I do have a working system which is a reasonable
> facsimile of my previous one, but it does seem like it ought to have been
> easier. For about the past three days now, I've lived in the command-line.
>
> Also I would like recommendations for a firewall that displays active
> connections and rules, etc., like the old Firestarter used to do. I catch
> all kinds of problems by noticing activity on my firewall, but now I cannot
> seem to find one that displays active connections, and Firestarter can no
> longer be hacked to make it work on a newer system.

Hi Bill,

Ah, yeah, something’s wrong with Devuan Beowulf then?  Maybe a bad base
install?  I installed MX19 (Debian Buster) a month ago and had zero problems
installing TDE on it (other than my own typo’s).  For various testing I’ve
installed it to two machines about 6 to 8 times since.

> Also I would like recommendations for a firewall that displays active
> connections and rules

The firewall I’m using is this (which does both of those):

michael@local [~]# aptitude show gufw
Package: gufw
Version: 18.10.0-1
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
 gufw is an easy and intuitive way to manage your Linux firewall. It supports
common tasks such as allowing or blocking
 pre-configured, common p2p, or individual port(s), and many others!
Homepage: https://gufw.org/
Tags: admin::configuring, implemented-in::python, interface::graphical,
interface::x11, network::firewall, role::program,
      scope::utility, security::firewall, uitoolkit::gtk, use::configuring,
x11::application

active connections> Report tab
rules > Rules tab

It came included in MX (guessing it’s standard Buster).  ufw (backend of gufw)
does seem to spam your log files though with with [UFW BLOCK] and [UFW AUDIT]
entries*, so I eventually turned ufw logging off.

In: Edit, Preferences

HTH!,
Michael

* Filled a 50GB root partition in 30 days.
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=60085