Re: Loading setting on logon takes long time

Anno domini 2020 Tue, 4 Aug 11:24:22 -0500
 Michael scripsit:
> On Tuesday 04 August 2020 11:08:34 am Janek Stolarek wrote:
> > I've recently set up a new machine with TDE. For reasons I can't figure
> > out, when I log into TDE on the new machine the startup screen needs about
> > 4-5 seconds to get past the "Loading settings" step. On the old machine
> > this takes a split second, so on the new machine this is several times
> > slower. The new machine has a faster SDD and comparable CPU (more cores
> > than the old one, but that's probably not relevant here) so I don't see a
> > good reason why this is so slow. I know there is a setting in TCC to
> > disable configuration checking on login, which I did. It seems to
> > *sometimes* work, i.e. occasionally "Loading settings" will take a split
> > second, but for the most time it still takes 4-5 seconds. Does anyone have
> > a clue what's going on here?
>
> Hi Janek,
>
> Not exactly a clue, but it's generally not a good idea to turn off the
> configuration checking on login.  Take sip of your drink, get another cup of
> coffee, but let it do it's thing so your system works correctly...
>
> Best,
> Michael

No clue, either, but I have a funny thing, too: on one machine X11 starts with a black screen without cursor and then waits till a mouse or keyboard occurs. Then it starts TDE :)

Oh, just a hint: log into the machine via ssh, start htop or something simillar, then fire up TDE. You most likely see what's causing the delay.

Nik