Re: changing perms

On Saturday 27 June 2020 05:16:05 Stefan Krusche wrote:

> Dear Gene,
>
> it's not quite clear to me what the/your actual problem is…
>
> Am Sonntag 21 Juni 2020 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> > Only when booted to single status. But It let me set it right now
> > without asking for the old pw.  But then xrandr got in the way,
> > couldn't read a valid gamma setting. xrandr is not your problem
> > though.  Now I suppose I'll have to use it for everything.  And
> > thats a right pita too as its quite a few more characters. But now I
> > can't run synaptic from the tde menu's, as root or gene. And gksudo,
> > my only way to run synaptic, brought up a whole new default jessie
> > config.  Jessie ???  Supposed to be stretch, call me confused.
>
> …but one thing comes to mind: in case you want to run an X-application
> (synaptic) as root, root needs to be allowed to access the user's
> X-session (I don't know how this is implemented by synaptic, there are
> probably different ways to achieve that by different apps). Maybe it's
> worth a try to allow root to your user's X-session with:
>
> As user enter this command:
> $ xhost +si:localuser:root
>
> From man xhost:
> "the server interpreted address "si:localuser:username" can be used to
> specify a single local user."

That got me back to stretch, but no new linucnc builds at master-rt.

So either the buildbots been down for a week or ??
And the first of my wheezy machines, the only other machine here that is
running tde r14.0.x. just updated 62 packages including 3 from the
linuxcnc buildbot, using the exact same "gksudo synaptic".

By the time I had updated all 4 of them, the three wheezy installs got an
updated master-rt from the linuxcnc buildbot, but this stretch(amd64),
and the buster (armhf) rpi4b didn't get any updates offered except the 6
that are locked, preempt-rt stuff.

Looks like the buildbot is having trouble with post-wheezy stuff.

I should do a git pull and try it myself as I am setup to do that. But
I'm not touching that until I find out whats killing the jog dials on
the rpi4b. I had it partially apart yesterday, installing a new z
motor's driver alarm output into its linuxcnc config, but the jog dials
are now dead, so I've no way to run 1500 lbs of 75 yo Sheldon lathe by
hand. But I need to go to the machine to do that, I can't troubleshoot
that with an ssh login. Machine safety yadda yadda.

So I'd better fix some breakfast and git to it.

Thanks Stefan.

> HTH and kind regards,
> Stefan

> list messages on the web archive: