Re: Activating the Trinity Desktop Environment

On Monday 22 June 2020 01:55:48 pm Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Anno domini 2020 Mon, 22 Jun 18:47:19 -0500
>
>  Klaus Cook scripsit:
> > I am 80 years old and retired after a career in Systems programming and
> > consulting, but I  am a complete novice when it comes to Linux. I have
> > decided to try Ubuntu 20.04 and as part of the learning process I decided
> > to install the Trinity Desktop Environment.
> >
> > After struggling through the installation I finally was able to get the
> > installation to run without errors, however, the Desktop does not
> > activate when logging into Ubuntu. Also, Trinity is not listed in the
> > "sessions" list on the log in page.
> >
> > 1. Is there anyway to check if the installation was completed correctly?
> >
> > 2. How do I activate the desktop if the installation was correct?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Klaus Cook
> > Houston, TX
>
> May I point you to exegnulinux? It comes with TDE, has no GTK stuff (which
> makes live easier) and has no systemd (equiv. of M$ svchost):
> http://exegnulinux.net/
>
> If you want to stay with ubuntu: Install tdm-trinity, uninstall all other
> login managers (slim, gdm ...), and try again.

Hi Klaus,

Welcome to TDE!

Edit:  I vote for using a live image (USB) first.  That will definitely help
you get your feet wet and then you can (usually) install from that.

If you haven’t found this page, it should help some:

https://www.trinitydesktop.org/faq/configure.php

And, at the risk of giving you too many choices (which is rampant in the Linux
world), I’ll offer up:

MX Linux 19.  It also is systemd free and has a live image (and built on AntiX
code).

https://mxlinux.org/current-release-features/

https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/MX_Linux_Trinity_Repository_Installation_Instructions

That page needs an update:

R14.0.x series
    MX-19 - Use debian buster packages

# # #

Handy chart of Distributions vs. versions [1]

Debian         <>  Ubuntu  <>  Devuan     <>  MX
11 (bullseye)  <>  20.04   <>  none       <>  MX-20? (not released yet)
10 (buster)    <>  19.10   <>  Beowulf *  <>  MX-19

Best Regards,
Michael

* I’m making the educated guess exegnulinux is based off  Devuan (Beowulf).
[1] Snort, hopefully I didn’t copy/paste something wrong :(