Re: r14-xdg-update script problem

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 2:54 PM, William Morder via trinity-users <trinity-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 May 2020 13:33:47 E. Liddell wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 26 May 2020 11:53:49 -0700
> > "William Morder via trinity-users"
>

> trinity-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

> > > Has anybody yet come up with a quick fix for this bug? or even a slow
> > > fix? I have read all the comments in this thread, and also follow Michele
> > > Calgaro's instructions about changing the lines (from kde to tde) in that
> > > file:
> > > ~/.config/menus/applications-tdemenuedit.menu
> > > However, when I reboot, I still get the same error messages.
> >

> > Are the menu entries still flagged if you delete then recreate them?
> > Here are some suggestions of last resort:
> > The hacky fix is to trick the script into thinking that it's already run to
> > completion by editing ~/.trinity/share/config/kdeglobals. The section you
> > want would look like this:
> > [R14 XDG Updates]
> > Updated=false
> > Version=201412270
> > Flip the "Updated" key to "true" and the script shouldn't fire again until
> > you update TDE and it installs a new version of the script.
> > The even hackier fix is to edit starttde and prevent the script from
> > running at all.
> > Don't do either of these if you care about the minor housekeeping
> > fixes the script makes. They are not the "correct" answer, just a way of
> > getting the script to shut up if everything else fails.
> > E. Liddell
>

> I cannot find anything from KDE4/5 in my system. It could be that there are
> some configuration files (or what-not) lying round, since I used to run KDE3,
> then adapted my preferences to TDE. But so far as I can tell, there is
> nothing of KDE anywhere, in either programs or dependencies.
>

> As for the hacky and hackier tricks ... I'll see if they help. For now, this
> is just an annoying bug; it slows down my startup time with error messages,
> but that is about it. Everything else runs fine, as usual.
>

> The only real bother is why something would overwrite my changes with KDE
> again. If that is not a security issue, then I suppose that I can live with
> the bug.
>

> Thanks for everybody's observations and suggestions.
>

> Bill

Late commer, sorry for any redundancies,pendantic remarks. Debian stable (10) + TDE 14.0.8 (stable) afaikt:

Not a fan of installing Trinity from live cd's of some one elses making. My canonical install distro ofchoice without Xinstalled (gui). Add TDE sources . No chance of mistakesby others, Yikes.

Purging everything re KDE, does not ouch the home directory. If you are like me my home directory lives on a separate hard drive  through numerous installs of Trinity.  Trinity changed all references from "K"to "T" long ago. I had some issues with kmail.

Retiring my work station, moved to a laptop, added a fresh user, clean home dir, TDE14.0.8 is the
best yet.

----

greg