Re: r14-xdg-update script problem

On 2020-04-29 10:58 a.m., Michele Calgaro via trinity-users wrote:

It says "error code 9

Common failures include file and directory permissions"

The file "r14-xgd-update-validation-test9.txt" contains the text below <Filename>kde-kpdf_part.desktop</Filename>
<Filename>kde-ksensors.desktop</Filename> <Filename>kde-ksensors.desktop</Filename>
<Filename>kde-superkaramba.desktop</Filename> <Filename>kde-fsview.desktop</Filename>
<Filename>kde-kbiff.desktop</Filename> <Filename>kde-kbiff.desktop</Filename>
<Filename>kde-kpdf_part.desktop</Filename>

I'm not sure exactly how to proceed but expect the solution is some relatively simple editing of some TDE
configuration files. Please advise.

L. McCarty

Hi L.,
yes problems with test 9 are sort of expected, as we wrote in the release notes as well. Thanks for getting in touch.
Check the following file "~/.config/menus/applications-tdemenuedit.menu" and check the contents of the
 folder. I think it is possible/likely you have both "kde-*.desktop" and "tde-*.desktop"
files for the ones listed in your email. For example 'kde-kbiff.desktop' and 'tde-kbiff.desktop'.
To fix this problem you can rename kde-* files to tde-* files and edit "~/.config/menus/applications-tdemenuedit.menu"
so to rename or remove any reference like "<Filename>kde-*.desktop</Filename>".
Depending on your edit history and system setup, the same file could be names in many different sections, mostly
"includes" and "excludes" ones, so you need to be sure to see where the file is required.

The starting scripts automatically does the rename in case it is safe to do so, otherwise it fails and requires user
intervention to avoid messing things up, as in your case.

Let us know how it goes and if you need more support.

Cheers
   Michele

Michele,

thanks for the tip; your instructions were clear and helpful. Here is my feedback as it may also be helpful to others with the same problem..

There was nothing odd (no kde* files) in the "~/.local/share /applications" folder

I searched with kwrite in the "~/.config/menus/applications-tdemenuedit.menu" file for "kde" and substituted "tde" in all "desktop" hits, i.e., the files named in the r14 script output noted earlier. Some occurred more than once as I had copies in various submenus. Saved the file, rebooted, there was one notice of a check, rebooted, DONE! Everything seems to work fine now, including the apps where the "tde" substitution was carried out.

My installation is over 5 years old and has been through a number of upgrades so it is not surprising that there is some cruft in the setup. However, it has always worked well. Long live TDE!

Sincerely,

L. McCarty