Re: [quite OT] TDE shirts

On Thursday 23 April 2020 09:32:36 am Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> Anno domini 2020 Thu, 23 Apr 09:59:00 -0400
>  E. Liddell scripsit:
> > On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 21:46:20 -0500
> > Michael <mb_trinity_desktop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Probably the best way with Tim 'owning' the non-profit.
> >
> > In theory, we should probably incorporate, but this introduces accounting
> > and tax-reporting requirements we haven't had to deal with up to this
> > point. Still, we should move away from any single person being solely
> > responsible for managing funds and resources—that's why we have a problem
> > in the first place.

Unless Timothy (Tim?, what’s he like to be called by?) completely declines he
should be the titular head, even if he never does anything else with TDE.
Others elected/appointed can ‘do the work’ so to speak.  Okay, my opinion,
otherwise it’d be insanely rude to Timothy :(

> > There are likely to be advantages and
> > disadvantages to setting up in each jurisdiction.  And the US is not a
> > single jurisdiction: each state is different.
>
> From my experience: US jurisdiction is something you should stay away as
> far you can.

I’m a US citizen and I’d heavily recommend to not do [TDE-ORG] in the USA.
Rules and regulations are excessive and expensive to comply with.

> > So, what would the money the Trinity Desktop Environment Project, Inc.
> > acquires be paid out for?
> >
> > -hosting
> > -having someone do the accounting and make required corporate reports
> > -publicity and outreach?
> > -salary for one or more full-time devs, if we were to grow that much?
> > -other?
> - Fond raising
> - PR work ...

- Back pay?  Figure out how much work has been done by who (number of
commits?), how much it’s worth, what a total for all of that would be, and
set aside [~25%?] of future donations to pay it off.

As long as we all agree, pretty much anything.

> > And sources of income would be . . .
> >
> > -donations
> > -sales of swag (shirts, coffee mugs, bumper stickers, mouse pads . . .)
> > -technical support of TDE in larger deployments, à la Red Hat?
> > -paid feature requests?
> - EU project funds
> - local project funds

> > And the next step would be research of the rules governing
> > not-for-profits in the jurisdictions of people actually willing to do the
> > *work* associated with ...
>
> I can only speak for the Austrian situation
> Done that already for :) statistically every Austrian is member of at least
> 2 associations.

I’d suggest anyone interested in wanting to donate their time to doing the
paperwork/bookkeeping do what Nik did and outlined their local requirements
so we can talk it out and decide what/where makes the most sense for
[TDE-ORG].  The world is a pretty small place now, so unless someone has an
objection, anywhere that is cheap/easy seems ideal.

# # #

On a negative example note, the [TDE-ORG] bylaws/charter/TOS ‘stuff’ probably
needs a constraint so the project doesn’t do a ‘Drupal’ where the Drupal
Association literally dumped and ejected all the historical user base in
favor of the top corporate donors.  Based on that, I’d personally be somewhat
against a ‘à la Red Hat’ model. *

Best All,
Michael

* Besides which I just had to build three CentOS 7 servers with systemd and
that thing is one piece of crap.  So big middle finger to Red Hat for shoving
that down peoples’ throats.