Re: How to remove or not install CUPS? (standard install)

On 19/03/2020 16:27, Michael wrote:
On Thursday 19 March 2020 03:22:03 am Snidely Whiplash wrote:

I might well be the only person here that doesn't have CUPS.
You’re not the only one.  The maintainer of CUPS (Apple employee) proposed
several years back to remove, in 2020, all existing CUPS code that supports
any ‘not-new’ printer.  He basically ignored anyone who disagreed with him
and presented rebuttals and arguments ‘for’ that were smoke and mirrors.  (My
interpretation, you’ll need to check the support queue yourself.  But when
the maintainer states that “Common” doesn’t mean “common” it’s pretty safe to
say the handwriting is on the wall.  Yes, unless he deleted it since, that
what he wrote, and it’s also when I gave up.)

Sadly, a lot of developers seem to be like that, take Debian for example. Not all of course :)

My last interaction with this CUPS issue was in ~2018 when my previously
working under CUPS printer stopped working and that support queue/post was
what I was ultimately pointed at to ‘help’ me.  Blatantly, from my
perspective, CUPS is completely useless, and will be more so after that
change is made, so...

Q1:  Is there a way to not install CUPS during a standard install of TDE?

Why waste the space and CPU cycles...

Q2:  Anyone have a recommendation for a CUPS replacement?

There’s nothing wrong with my 7 year old printer (which I now have to send
files to a windows box to print...).

Which printer is it?

--
Michael Howard