Re: screen color distortion after xrandr

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020, E. Liddell wrote:

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 16:38:32 +0100 (CET)
Felmon Davis <moelmoel2714@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

greets!

I was trying to get a second monitor (a tv) to work using xrandr. I
noticed that the screen on the laptop would suffer severe, almost
'psychedelic', effects if I hit a certain setting.

unfortunately I don't recall the setting but the ill effect was
consistent and rendered the disply nearly unreadable. and the only
solution was to end the session.

then by accident I hit the 'save this configuration' key and now the
setting is permanent.

btw I created a second user and it doesn't suffer from the problem.

I cannot find a way to restore the proper display setting.

My guess is that you did something awkward to the color profile or
gamma correction.  No idea where that information is stored, though--I'd
probably resort to grepping through likely directories looking for
"[Cc]olor".  If it affects only a specific user, then the setting is probably
in your home directory, since most distros don't like mingling user settings
with general system settings.

just a quick general update.

I set up a second user which, it turns out, is not affected by the psychedelia.

it had the side-benefit of eliminating pretty much all the font size and dpi-related problems I had except for an oddity or two under Firefox which could be fixed by adding some code to userChrome.css.

this reign of peace and clarity has been so captivating that I haven't yet gone back to diagnose the problems of the first user setup.

I do believe that once the psychedelic effects did occur under user #2 but I was nimble enough not to 'save configuration' of TDERandRTray which is probably the trouble-maker I've been advised and not xrandr.

I may see it it's true that the effect can be generated under user #2 also. and I'll do a little experimenting under user #1 to find the cause of the problem there.

I may settle in with user #2 but then I'd (at some risk) shift GID's and UID's to get back to the former username.

thanks all.

f.

--
Felmon Davis