Re: tdm doesn't start automatically

On Thursday 02 January 2020 11:12:13 ajh-valmer wrote:
> No�nswer to my question not solved ?
>
> On Wednesday 01 January 2020 16:46:32 ajh-valmer wrote:
> > First,
> > Happy and best new year 2020 to you !
> >
> > Since last upgrade of tdm,
> > tdm doesn't start automatically as before and why  ?
> > The system starts in konsole mode.
> > I have to login as root and type :
> > # killall tdm
> > and tdm starts.
> > Even if /etc/rc1.d to /et/rc6.d and rcS.d = K19tdm OR S19tdm :
> > system starts in konsole mode.
> > tdm is in /etc/init.d/
> > I use "sysv-rc-conf" to put K or S.
> > What is the difference between tdm and tdm-trinity ?
> > Thanks and Regards
> > Andr�

There are some packages which have "-trinity" added to the name. This seems to
be an issue only of naming, in order to avoid conflicts due to legacy
packages left over from the old KDE3. Others may know better.

I believe that we have been discussing this same issue under the heading "tde
update disaster, helllppppp!!!!!!" (started by Gene Heskett). See those
posts.

If your issue sounds similar to what is described in that thread, then first I
would try this: "sudo apt-get purge tdm-trinity && apt-get install
tdm-trinity" (from Slavek's recommendation), and after that, "sudo
dpkg-reconfigure tdm-trinity".

On reboot, your system ought to be more or less normal. (I did have to
reconfigure my customized login page, and again had to enable the secure
authentication feature, but otherwise it's all good now.

Bill