Re: tde update disaster, helllppppp!!!!!!

On Tuesday 31 December 2019 12:26:17 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I updated tde about 2 hours ago, 300+ files.
>
> Its totally fscked, defaulting to xfce4 and nothing but a tiny terminal
> works. But that terminal is enough to get more started.
>
> Can't find kmail from the xfce4 menu but kmail is what it reports
> it cannot find so $path is screwed.
>
> I've gone single and tried to relink default-display back
> to /opt/trinity/bin/tdm, failed. Tried to reset it in /etc/default,
> failed. Tried just about everthiing including re-installing the
> trinty-base & twm/tdm stuffs. no luck
>
> I finally found /opt/trinity/bin/kmail and have it running but no clue if
> I can send this.
>
> How in tuncket do I restore my default desktop to tde now??? I
> asccidently touched the folder icon, it opened a huge requester asnd
> froze everthing but gkrellm which I had found and started so I could see
> if the robots were DDOSing me, so I had to re-start it with the front
> panel reset button.
>
> I likely have the whole thing to fix as right now its cycleing back and
> forth as its starting x with a tde login but clears that screen and
> eventually starts xfce4. And here come the damned bots, so I gotta get
> iptables running.
>
> Thanks for any help. debian stretch on amd64 if that helps.

Gene I feel your pain, been there, hated it...

Everyone who hasn’t updated yet, make sure to do a full disk clone of your OS
and Home dir disks!

General Instructions:

- Make and Boot into a Live CD/USB
- Mount an external disk [bigger than your OS and Home disk(s)]

- Command prompt (root)
- - fdisk -l  # (Identify your partition information)
- - blockdev --getbsz {partition}  # (Find your block size)
- - Use dd to clone the entire OS and Home disk(s) to a file on the external
drive. *

* Do NOT use noerror
* If you’ve never used dd before, read 3 to 6 web guides first!

Best All,
Michael

PS:  Gene, my best guess for a fix at your point is to make a backup of your
home dir, do a full wipe, and then full reinstall.  I have some partial
scripts I use to re-integrate the old home dir into the new home dir, send me
a mail if you want them.