Re: trouble with tdm on debian/buster

Well, this has turned out to be a rather fruitful discussion.  My attitude about TDE is a bit like the history of TeX.  If you recall Knuth made a long-standing offer to pay people to find errors in his software and he would pay them if he agreed that it was a bug, and it got fixed.  He did not add many new features, but instead, concentrated on getting all the errors out.  As a result, TeX has not changed in feature set, but is still used by many people worldwide as one of the most error-free and powerful typesetting tools available.

I am not suggested any monetary reward, but I do think that one of the benefits of TDE may be that eventually it could become error-free.  Many bugs, like this one, are caused by software interfaces outside TDE, and I suspect this will go on forever. But, internally, we have a chance to have an error-free desktop for Linux that could live for the ages.  I do think TDE is becoming more popular now than ever, perhaps for that reason.

I will sign off now that we think we have gotten this "bug" at least defined.  I will leave it to the experts to decide how best to fix it for the ages.

Thank you to all for your help and wisdom.

Merry Christmas.