Re: [BULK] Re: [trinity-users] Re: [BULK] Re: [trinity-users] TDE featured in german magazine

On Wednesday 20 November 2019 09:53:25 William Morder via trinity-users
wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 November 2019 06:24:18 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > Anno domini 2019 Wed, 20 Nov 09:11:04 -0500
> >
> >  Gene Heskett scripsit:

> > > I'm even older school, mc blows it out of the water. It is truly
> > > the swiss army knife of file managers, I'm doing all this work on
> > > KMail's Mail directory with it.
> >
> > ha ha, now we know where your kmail problems come from! (nik ducks
> > and runs like hell)
> >
> > Nik

> > > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> I managed to solve most of my email problems by simply alienating
> everybody who was not absolutely necessary, and *voila!* no more spam,
> no more overflowing email folders, no more wasted time, no more fools
> to suffer, and I can often go for days on end without getting a single
> email in any accounts.
>
> Now my mind is clear, and I am free to focus on what really matters.
> If it were not for the TDE mailing list, I would think that nobody at
> all loves me.
>
> Have you ever considered becoming an antisocial hermit, Gene?

I think thats 2nd nature for me Bill. A short history lesson if you will.

I am an only child,, but was an avid reader as soon as they found I was
half blind and got me glasses, so I was reading high school physics
books at the same time the schools were using McGuffy's readers.  About
the 7nth grade I made a 147 score on the IQ test Iowa was using then.
Had some health problems that turned out to be a food allergy in the
middle of 9th grade, quit school and went to work fixing tv's for a
living.  Around '52 I was beginning to need a woman but Korea stood in
the way so I had my draft number moved up. Then scored a 98 on the Armed
Forces Qualification Test. Next best that day was 37, got me 4f'd. I
guess they were wanting machine gun targets or something.  Somebody who
could think was the last thing they wanted. So I kept looking for a girl
but found most were mental coyotes. By then I had my own service bench
cubicle at Woodburn Sound Service in Iowa City, playing salesman when
the folks looking for genuine hifi came in. 5 years later a new girl
started at my fav greasy spoon, a divorcee named Annie Sweet who signed
her tickets AS. I added another S. Next night she handed me a big well
used wood screw and asked it thats what I was looking for. I grinned and
made a date for Saturday nite. She turned out to be exactly what I was
looking for so 2 weeks later we said I do. I had her for about 10 years,
then she had a stroke and died. Left me raising three, 6, 8 & 9 yo, all
have since passed. In the meantime I'd taken the 1st phone test when the
fcc was in town, got that. Never cracked a book, hooked up with the
glasshopper at a local bar, took her and our 6 back to Nebraska and a
NETV transmitter, sat for the CET in '72 walking in cold. Raised a few
eyebrows but got that at journeyman level. I'd learned enough about
klystrons there that I was able to talk an fcc field engineer into
tearing up a citation as I knew far more about it than he did. Next stop
WTSF in Ashland KY where I taught the God Squad engineer about
klystrons, then to WDTV-5 in Weston WV, where I decided to run my
working time out, it was a nice place, retiring at 66.75 years old after
18 years in that ragged red chair.  In the meantime the glasshopper
didn't like WV, so she packed up the kids and went back to  Nebraska.
Left me a hundred dollar bill and a paid apt., till payday, and $27,000
in debt to the IRS. One of my employees introed me to an old maid school
teacher and we made it official 30 years ago this next Dec 2nd. Now shes
80, dying of COPD and broken bones and I'm 85, diabetic and running out
of heart. Some of that excess IQ left when I made the grim reaper blink
the first time by haveing a pulmonary embolism when I was 79, (typical
survival rates are about 2%), and now my hearts valves are not sealing
all that well so that will get replaced in about 2 weeks with a new
aortic valve.  Had two sessions in the cath-lab so far, stents in my
heart first to fix the heart attack that got my attention, and was the
2nd time the reaper blinked, then some bigger ones in the groin to make
passage room for the new valve.

My kids intro me as being the smartest man in any building I'm in, but I
know some of it is gone forever. They aren't convinced yet though. ;-)

Bored yet?, should be. Now, to keep  me out of the bars, I've been
converting 2 lathes and 2 milling machines to cnc controls, doing things
they couldn't do before, several times faster than standing there
turning cranks. Sometimes with the lights out and me gone to bed if its
a long slow job.  The machine, with one exception, doesn't have eyes so
it doesn't need lights to make a tray full of swarf.

But being ahead by doing it myself has led to some isolation because not
everyone understands what I'm doing, that and not being able to leave
very far since I am caring for my wife, has tended to isolate me here at
home, effectively using these mailing lists as the "gossip fence" to the
rest of the better endowed members of our human race.

I know well that I probably have used up my reaper blinks, but generally,
I've had fun doing it.  Would I do it again?, yup.

> Bill

> list messages on the web archive:
> http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/ Please remember not to
> top-post: