Re: No graphic since upgrade Stretch to Buster

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 22:05:06 +0100
"ajh-valmer" <ajh.valmer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Or not. Do not confuse the nouveau kernel driver with the nouveau DDX (X
> > > and Wayland) driver. The nouveau kernel driver provides the kernel mode
> > > setting functionality that competent DDXes depend on.
> > > Xserver-xorg-video-nouveau is a reverse-engineered, *optional*, DDX built
> > > only for NVidia GPUs. The default DDX is newer technology, automatically
> > > used when: 1-it supports any non-ancient (AMD or Intel or NVidia) GPU;
> > > 2-KMS is not disabled; and 3-no optional DDX is installed. It can also be
> > > explicitly configured to be used even though an applicable optional DDX is
> > > available. It's provided by the xserver-org package itself. When in use,
> > > modeset(0) will normally be found copiously in Xorg.0.log.
> > > The modesetting DDX is in use here by all the NVidia GPUs I have that are
> > > new enough for it to support, those newer than approximately 10-12 years
> > > of age.
>
> > Old mainframe guys like myself probably shouldn't be giving GPU advice ;)
>
> It worked perfectly with Stretch, nvidia non free and xserver-xorg,
> and with Buster, completely broken.
>
> I tried, nvidia free and non-free, no result.
>
> I cannot spend hours and hours to repair...

First, do you have the correct driver package?  There are ~7 nVidia proprietary driver
series, each of which supports different cards.  If you're not sure, check
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/430.50/README/supportedchips.html

Having the wrong driver, or parts of it not correcty installed, might create the symptoms
you're seeing.  Newer cards will sometimes work with older drivers, but it isn't guaranteed.

Keep in mind that, in addition to matching the card you're using, the driver must support
your kernel version *and* your X server version.  That's why it's safest to install from
your distro's repository if you're going to use the nVidia proprietary drivers—they
should have those details worked out for you.

Nouveau isn't a perfect solution either.  It doesn't support the full range of nVidia cards,
or the full range of features on every card it does handle, and it doesn't play nice with
TDE if compiled into the kernel—you have to ensure it was built as a module.  And
you can't have it installed on the same system as the proprietary driver at the same time
without blacklisting one kernel module or the other.

Your ultimate fallback is the vesa driver.  Make sure it's installed.  It should be enough
for you to be able to bring up a graphical desktop in a pinch.

(Source:  I have one desktop with a recent nVidia card running the proprietary driver,
and one laptop with an ancient nVidia card that I transitioned to nouveau last year.
Both run TDE.  I have committed just about every possible nVidia-related idiocy at
one time or another.  However, I'm on a different distro from you, so my insight is
a bit limited.)

E. Liddell