Re: which distro might be preferable with POTS web connection and WINE?

On Wednesday 08 May 2019 02:14:07 am William Morder via trinity-users wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 May 2019 19:16:59 Felix Miata wrote:
> > Michael composed on 2019-05-07 11:48 (UTC-0500):
> > > Felix Miata wrote:
> > I don't do USB except for occasional rescues. My interest isn't so much
> > in what the hardware can support as a desktop he and I and POTS can work
> > with, with an emphasis on minimal effort from me when he needs help.

> > AFAICT, MX is XFCE-focused. I don't like XFCE (or Gnome, the reason why I
> > jumped on KDE1 when I discovered it), or that it's built on a gtk3
> > foundation, which may be why.

Hi Felix,

I have to agree with Bill, kudos to you for helping this person out!  I’ve
dealt with people who’ve had head injuries and you’re never sure where they
are capable.  Worse some of them never seem to know if they’ve actually told
you a), b), or c) so tell you them multiple time.  Or they think they told
you all three and have really only told you b).  Highly frustrating from both
sides.  :(

On MX, yes I think it does default install XFCE, but you don’t have to use it,
nor do you need anything Gnome.  I don’t, I use TDE with it.  I brought it up
as MX does have a lot of MX built tools that would make your install/setup
life easier.

Since you’re going with TDE as the interface (guessing), per Bill’s
installation vs. stability, I’d say MX is in the middle for installation.  MX
is a no-systemd Debian stable so I believe people would score that high on
stability?

The USB was to just try it, it does install to the hard drive.

I’ll guess you’ve already thought of trying an Ubuntu LTS?  I’d surmise that
the 16.04 LTS would be basically feature locked by now and would give you
until 2024 until you’d need to look at it again.

Hope that helps,
Michael