Re: which distro might be preferable with POTS web connection and WINE?

On Monday 06 May 2019 10:51:51 pm Felix Miata wrote:
> Maybe the better question would be does anyone here have any users using
> POTS and WINE, and if so, on which distro? I haven't haven't suffered POTS
> or known more than one who has in close to 20 years. The one who has is the
> owner of the target. He has zero competence in computer setup or
> maintenance, historically struggling to do much more with internet than
> collect Windows malware. His email is Juno.
>
> Absent a suggestion backed by recent experience with POTS and WINE, I'll be
> choosing between Mageia, openSUSE and Debian.
>
> Target is a Vaio laptop (not mine) with 2.2GHz dual core with 2GB RAM and
> GM965 14" 1280x800 video. I have an openSUSE maintenance installation (only
> IceWM for X) on it now, which will stay.

Hi Felix,

Q’s first:

- POTS as he connects to the Internet by telephone dial up?
- Juno as in Juno WebMail or through a mail client?

Otherwise:

- User has No computer skills.
- Needs Wine. (for what?)
- Computer’s technology is 10+ years old.

# # #

Based upon just the ‘zero competence in computer’ try him on a MX Linux Live
USB in persistent mode [1]?  That should be about the easiest way for you to
test if the hardware can handle it and once that’s figured out, then you can
add TDE.

Best,
Michael

[1]
Update the release references to 18.x on
https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/create-a-live-usb-w-persist-from-a-windows-desktop/
and
https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/MX_Linux_Trinity_Repository_Installation_Instructions

This might also help,