Re: Making a Bootable USB stick (with free space)

On Thursday 04 April 2019 07:33:18 Michael wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 April 2019 05:21:55 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 April 2019 12:38:12 Felix Miata wrote:
> > > Gene Heskett composed on 2019-04-03 08:16 (UTC-0400):
> >
> >  so maybe it might boot from usb stick after all, but
>
> Hi All,
>
> Okay I know about zero people on this list “need” this, as I’m sure we’re
> all familiar enough with dd, but I’m not adverse to getting some extra QC
> eyes to spot typo’s or bad copy/pastes ;) .
>
> How to create a Bootable USB stick, with free space, from an ISO image
> http://inet-design.com/blogs/michael/how-create-bootable-usb-stick-iso-imag
>e.html
>
> Hopefully though, the ability to have free space for .bashrc, proprietary
> drivers, and whatnot on the USB after burning the ISO image will be useful
> to few of you.
>
> Best,
> Michael

Already been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, about 2-3 years ago. I was
booting a laptop from a 64 gb flash drive. I partitioned the flash drive with
root, swap and home, and made it so that the laptop would not boot without it;
which was interesting, but now it keeps looking for the flash drive that I
don't want to use at present.

Anyway, an interesting experiment, to which I may yet return. My aim was to
make a sort of portable mini-computer that I could take round in my pocket,
and use it to boot up any computer (with permission, or one of my own). That
way, I could always have a mini-clone of my running system, with everything
available that I have here, and run it from any compatible computer, and have
my system everywhere.

I did not, as some thought, merely make a bootable iso copy of an installation
disc (using dd), but rather a complete working system, just with a smaller
home partition, because I didn't want to keep anything there permanently.

Bill

P.S. I haven't got awake enough to get on the Internet yet and look at your
page, but will do so after I make some coffee.