KMix not controlling volume / Konsole not beeping (MX-18 Linux)

Hi All,

- TDE
- MX-18 Linux (Debian 9 "stretch")
- GTX 1060 (NVidia)
- ASUS monitor (VP228he), connected through HDMI

Ref: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=48235

I finally got sounds working but...

- The applet KMix doesn’t change the volume no matter which option I select
within it.

- Konsole will play a test sound for the ‘Bell emitted within a visible
session’ but it doesn’t play the sound (or any other it seems) when it should
(e.g. hit ‘Backspace’ at empty prompt).

- When TCC restarts the sound server all 'The Window Manager' sounds no longer
work.  'The Window Manager' sounds seem to be coming from the MX’s Settings
Manager>System Sounds not TDE. [1]

Based upon the last item, I’m guessing TDE and MX are fighting over who’s
managing sound?  Just a guess, but does anyone have a hint on what to look at
to get TDE back in control?

The ‘Ref:’ above has ‘aplay -l’ and other details.

Thanks,
Michael

[1]  https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=48790