Re: kedit , kate , konqueror, modify files on remote computer

On Tuesday 19 Feb 2019 13:59:07 David C. Rankin wrote:

Look on kedit as the blacksheep of the editor family.

Not quite on topic for the original post, but a comment on that comment:

There is one respect where, in my opinion, KEdit is much better than KWrite. If you are jotting down a lot of notes on something, and using soft word wrap, and you want to scan through the file, looking for something, by dragging the scroll bar up or down, KWrite has a disconcerting behaviour such that as you drag, the top of each paragraph jumps to the top of the text area, making it very uncomfortable to scan through the file. KEdit does not have that problem, and behaves perfectly smoothly as you drag the scroll bar up and down.

For that reason, I always use KEdit for jotting down a lot of informal notes on something, and it's great for that purpose. But I always use KWrite for coding.

I remember that KDE 3 had a bug such that turning off the cursor blinking in Qt3 control did not stop the cursor blinking in KEdit. That was such a serious problem that I had to stop using KEdit in KDE 3. That bug has been fixed in Trinity, and the fix is much appreciated.