Devuan Full Disk Encryption (FDE) shutdown issue

Moving this to a separate thread as it’s nor really related to switching to
TDE.

On Monday 04 February 2019 07:53:46 am Stefan Krusche wrote:
> Can you point to a reference for this bug?

While I did mention the issue on the Devuan user mailing list, I do not know
if there is a bug report for it.  It may be the issue Stefan references, but,
if so MX Linux has patched/solved the issue on their own as I do not see it
with MX Linux.

To maintain due diligence for client NDAs I must use encryption, or some other
method, to safeguard their data.  As such, I no longer have Devuan installed.

Bill (I think it was Bill, sorry if I’m mis-quoting) is entirely right though,
I have never seen any of the lags or hangs with Devuan or MX Linux that the
systemd versions of Debian are fairly well know for.

# # #

Here are my remembrances from a month or so ago.  Obviously these are not the
exact message phrases.

Observations:

- Install Devuan selecting automatically use full disk and encrypt
[everything]. [1]
- In the Software Selection only select:
- - Console productivity
- - Standard system utilities
- - (e.g. Un-check everything else)
- Install TDE
- Boot normally

[1] >>
> I have a setup with the root partition in a logical Volume of LVM on top of
> LUKS (whole disk but /boot)

Yes, that’s what I had as well.  /home was included in the root partition.
Swap was a separate encrypted partition in the LVM.
<< [1]

Best guess:  Since so little is installed, you don’t have the usual
startup/shutdown splash screens that usually ‘hide’ any of the
startup/shutdown scrolling messages.  Try hitting ‘Escape’ if you have splash
screens hiding the messages?

- Turn off the computer by using
- - TDE menu >> Log out >> Turn off

During shutdown you will see messages somewhat similar to what Stefan shows,
but they are closer to this and explicitly say “[FAIL]” in red:

“Unmounting {root partition name} [FAIL] ... [FAIL][FAIL][FAIL][FAIL][FAIL]”

It hangs for several seconds (15?) on the first [FAIL] and then re-tries
enough times to wrap the line.

- I shutdown approximately 13 times after noticing the first [FAIL] message
where I explicitly watched the shutdown messages.
- Of the boot up sequences I explicitly watched (10+) there were 3 instances
of fsck(?*) finding and fixing errors on the root partition.

* The messages go fast, I’m fairly sure is was fsck, but it could have been
anything really, my knowledge of the actual boot process is pretty weak.

# # #

That’s as best as my memory gives me.  If you install Devuan with Full Disk
Encryption (FDE), it’s really easy to spot, just watch a shutdown.

Okay, I’ve got to get back to work :(  If there’s more Q’s, ask, but it’ll be
a few days or next weekend before I get to them.

Best,
Michael