Re: more Stretch stress? gtk2/gtk3 clash

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 13. Dezember 2018 schrieb Felmon Davis:
greets!

don't know if it's related to Stretch - I recently upgraded from
Jessie (now somewhat to my regret) - but I did an update of Firefox
via the Mozilla online update.

subsequently (and as an effect?) Firefox lost vertical scrollbars. I
tried various things with the themes (unsystematically) and now have a
circumstance where I get:

"GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same
process is not supported"

when I try to start Firefox, Pan and Google-Chrome-Stable. online
googling has so far yielded nothing useful.

I assume I have some combination of Desktop 'effects' which clash. I'm
guessing. I can list various things but perhaps I'll wait for wiser
guidance.

I will say I have:

Redmond as GTK2 Style
Use my TDE Style in GTK3 apps
GTK@ Fonts uses Times New Roman
Decorations: Plastik

(btw I still have the issue of menu items playing hide-and-seek in
OpenOffice.)

fjd

As far as I can tell GTK3 and GNOME are broken by design. I remember I had these missing vertial scrollbars some time back, I solved the issue with "lxappearance", setting the theme to "Clearlooks" and removing of all gtk3 themes.

this seems a succinct description of what I ended up doing, viz removing gtk3 stuff. now all is peaceful again.

don't have lxappearance - that belongs to the LXDE dialect? will leave as is for now. enough "fun".

fjd

--
Felmon Davis