more post-Stretch issues: menus in Firefox, OO and in Pan

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018, Kate Draven wrote:

On Sunday 09 December 2018, Felmon Davis wrote:
folks,

the OpenOffice problem is not fixed (menu items invisible except with
mouse-over). one rabbit-hole at a time.

f.

Are you running the latest version of Openoffice.
It seems to be a shared bug between Libreoffice (which was resolved) and OO.
Apparently their theme engine is messed.

See if there's an update to OO.

so here's the present state:

(a) Openoffice updated. no joy. notice also the drop box menus don't have clear borders.

(b) had a problems with firefox: black background on toolbar items and drop-down menus only appearing with mouse hover-over; fixed with a work-around Slavek proposed some time ago: "create a symlink for files from /usr/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/theming-engines/ to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/theming-engines/"

(c) so now new issues with Pan. I can't use KDE_Classic since that gives Pan's top toolbar a black background and squeezes all the icons too close together. changing to Plastik fixes some of this though the text runs together and also no distinct borders.

SUMMARY:

so: text squeezed together in Pan 9.141; no borders on toolbar menus in Pan and Openoffice 4.1.6; menu items only visible by mouse-over in OpenOffice.

I figure this requires more deep-dives into GTK but not sure where to start. wonder about further hares to chase.

I'd like to use KDE_Classic theme but I am forced to Plastik or Redmond (seems best actually). GTK2 and GTK3 Styles set to "my TDE style".

f.

--
Felmon Davis