Re: [users] IBM buys Linux giant Red Hat

On 2018-11-06 13:41:45 Michael wrote:

> > The discussion about Linux to reach ~10% market shares and more,
> > for home computers in the world some month ago,
> > was that companies as RedHat and IBM, proposes an "easy" Linux.
> >
> > Recently, this wish is on the success road, IBM bought RedHat.
> >
> > Now, hope that IBM will materialize a good Linux system,
> > able to be used by every one and not only a cloud Linux...
>
> "Easy Linux"
>
> That’s pretty much the only thing that will ever increase *nix’s market
> share beyond the 2-10% it is now in the ‘home user’ demographic.
>
> ‘Cause let’s face it, if you’re asking ‘Mom’ to make decisions on partition
> structure or “ssh server” during the install, you’ve lost the entire ‘home
> user’ demographic...
>
> As to IBM buying RH?  IBM’s one of the odder multi-national conglomerates.
> They have been known to support ‘stuff’ for the good of mankind (or at
> least IT-kind).  But, they also do weirdness like selling their notebook
> and x86 server lines to Chinese Lenovo, which completely destroyed their
> “one stop shop” / “soup to nuts” capabilities.
	IBM's attitude toward Linux is very much contrary to that of the rest of
their product line.  I keep hoping that they will some day release a
back-level version of their Mainframe VM OS for use by hobbyists; that would
be a boon to their efforts to stem the tide of migration off their
proprietary platform, but they don't seem to recognize the power of
familiarizing potential users with their proprietary products.