Re: How do you (re)start the sys tray network manager?

On Thursday 01 November 2018 21:48:44 Michael wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> How do you start, or restart, the system tray network manager?  The
> (applet?) that connects to wireless networks.
>
> Also, what package is it in (in case I need to install it)?
>
> Just built a Devuan/TDE laptop and it’s either not installed by default or
> it doesn’t launch by default?
>
> Best,
> Michael
>
> PS:
> I’ve got 400+ list messages to read, promise I’ll answer the ones work drug
> me away from months ago...

The run command is just "tdenetworkmanager", nothing more.

No root privileges needed to start it up. This is maybe a little confusing
because the installation package itself is named network-manager-tde. Once
you start it up, you'll want to fiddle with it, as there is an option to have
it start up automatically when you boot the system.

I've been using wicd more myself, because the two programs seem to fight it
out for my connection. But wicd is installed by default in Devuan, and it
seems more stable; so even though I've always used knetworkmanager in the old
KDE3, and would like to use it in TDE, wicd serves me a little better. Also,
in wicd, I can choose different access points in my network (as I've found
that tdenetworkmanager doesn't always choose the closest or strongest
signal).

Bill