Re: Re: TDE/Trinity on Manjaro

On Tuesday 09 October 2018 23:17:51 deloptes wrote:
> Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 October 2018 01.06:47 Glen Cunningham wrote:
> >> G'day List,
> >>   According to DistroWatch, Manjaro is the most popular Linux
> >> disribution by a vary large margin.
> >>
> >>   Has anyone put TDE/Trinity on Manjaro?  If so, what is the correct way
> >> to do it?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Glen
> >
> > Besides the fact that their ranking seems only based on visit count to
> > their own web site (so it actually means, if true, that Manjaro users are
> > more eager than others to visit Distrowatch - that I actually never
> > visited before reading your mail), Manjaro is a rolling distribution.
> > Does this not make TDE more difficult to install?
> >
> > Thierry
>
> To me it sounds like the next millenials crap that comes out. Just look at
> chapter 3. Don’t Have to Worry About PPAs and 4. Tons of Software.
>
> My question is who is sponsoring those projects and most important why.
>
> regards

Right on. More packages available than in Debian? Somebody has been drinking
the Kool-Aid. If you choose a distro that promises to be easy and
user-friendly, you might end up with something that isn't much better than
Windoze and the rotten Apple.

You know, when I first got into Linux (15+ years ago?), I tried out more
distros than I can remember; at least 20 or 30. Knoppix, PC Linux, all
the 'buntus, Q4OS, Kali Linux, ExeGNU Linux, Slackware and several variants,
Puppy Linux, Zen Linux. I still try out new distros now and again, because
you never know, and it's good to have options. So I wouldn't discourage
anybody from trying out new things, but don't believe everything you read or
hear.

Burn some live discs. Try them all, if you can afford to spend a little money
on CDs and DVDs (and you can even put them on flash drives!).

Bill