Remove Evolution? (and any other stealth installed phone home services)

Hi All,

I’m running Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS, Trusty Tahr with TDE as my only desktop
installed.  I do have some Gnome (and probably KDE) odds and ends programs
installed as well.

I’ll also agree I’m pretty much a Luddite and have no desire for anything on
my box talking to anyone on the Internet without my knowledge and express
permission.

tl:dr
Q1:  How do you find phone home services?
Q2:  How do you remove them?
Q3:  If Ubuntu isn’t it, what is?

apt-get upgrade reported this morning that it wants to
update “evolution-data-server-online-accounts.”

Minor digging into wtf is this evolution thing (and why does it think it can
phone home without me knowing it?) shows it’s a Gnome component that’s
apparently very hard to remove. [a]

In that digging I find several other services that seem to phone home without
my knowledge or permission?

michael@local [~]# ls -1 /usr/share/dbus-1/services
{full list at [b]}

com.google.code.AccountsSSO.SingleSignOn.service
com.nokia.SingleSignOn.Backup.service
com.nokia.singlesignonui.service

and ???
musicstore-scope.service
unity-scope-facebook.service
unity-scope-flickr.service
unity-scope-openclipart.service
unity-scope-video-remote.service
unity-scope-yelp.service

Also in that digging, it seems that basically the only true way to get
evolution (and its ilk) to stop bothering you is to:

sudo mv /usr/lib/evolution /usr/lib/evolution-fu

(see [a], Answer, “None of the above helped me”), which is a bit
non-intuitive.  Very cute though...

I’m left with questions...

Q1)  With our resorting to something like Wireshark, how does one find all the
packages that have phone home capabilities?

Q2)  As ‘apt-get --purge remove’ doesn’t seem to work all the time, what’s the
safest way to remove/disable them?

I went to Ubuntu (from CentOS) a couple years ago because it’s suppose to
be ‘easier’ and it does do multimedia much better, but it doesn’t really seem
to concern itself with customer ‘privacy.’

Q3)  In the event this can’t be done in Ubuntu, is there a TDE supported *nix
variation that may be ‘harder,’ but doesn’t just add a bunch of anti-privacy
crap willy nilly?

I guess I don’t really mind going back to (re)compiling things on each OS
up-rev (libre, gimp, etc...), but it is a bit of a pita if there’s an
alternative...

Best and Thanks,
Michael

[a]
https://askubuntu.com/questions/315640/how-do-i-completely-remove-evolution

[b]
michael@local [~]# ls -1 /usr/share/dbus-1/services
ca.desrt.dconf.service
com.canonical.certification.PlainBox1.service
com.canonical.Friends.Dispatcher.service
com.canonical.Friends.Service.service
com.canonical.hud.service
com.canonical.indicators.webcredentials.service
com.canonical.Unity.Voice.service
com.canonical.Unity.Webapps.Service.service
com.canonical.webcredentials.capture.service
com.google.code.AccountsSSO.SingleSignOn.service
com.nokia.SingleSignOn.Backup.service
com.nokia.singlesignonui.service
com.ubuntu.OneConf.service
com.ubuntu.SoftwareCenterDataProvider.service
com.ubuntu.sso.service
gnome-vfs-daemon.service
gvfs-daemon.service
gvfs-metadata.service
indicator-keyboard.service
music-preview-player.service
musicstore-scope.service
obex-client.service
obex-data-server.service
org.a11y.atspi.Registry.service
org.a11y.Bus.service
org.ayatana.bamf.service
org.fedoraproject.Config.Printing.service
org.freedesktop.ColorHelper.service
org.freedesktop.FileManager1.service
org.freedesktop.Geoclue.Master.service
org.freedesktop.Geoclue.Providers.UbuntuGeoIP.service
org.freedesktop.Notifications.service
org.freedesktop.secrets.service
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.AccountManager.service
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Client.Empathy.Auth.service
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Client.Empathy.Call.service
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Client.Empathy.Chat.service
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Client.Empathy.FileTransfer.service
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Client.Logger.service
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Client.Vino.service
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.ConnectionManager.gabble.service
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.ConnectionManager.haze.service
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.ConnectionManager.idle.service
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.ConnectionManager.salut.service
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Logger.service
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.MissionControl5.service
org.freedesktop.xesam.searcher.service
org.gnome.Contacts.SearchProvider.service
org.gnome.evince.Daemon.service
org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.AddressBook.service
org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Calendar.service
org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Sources.service
org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.UserPrompter.service
org.gnome.FileRoller.service
org.gnome.GConf.service
org.gnome.gedit.service
org.gnome.keyring.PrivatePrompter.service
org.gnome.keyring.service
org.gnome.keyring.SystemPrompter.service
org.gnome.Nautilus.SearchProvider.service
org.gnome.Nautilus.service
org.gnome.Rhythmbox3.service
org.gnome.ScreenSaver.service
org.gnome.seahorse.Application.service
org.gnome.zeitgeist.fts.service
org.gnome.zeitgeist.service
org.gtk.GLib.PACRunner.service
org.gtk.Private.AfcVolumeMonitor.service
org.gtk.Private.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor.service
org.gtk.Private.MTPVolumeMonitor.service
org.gtk.Private.UDisks2VolumeMonitor.service
org.kde.knotify.service
org.kde.kuiserver.service
org.onboard-prediction.service
sessioninstaller.service