I may have spoken too soon . . .

On Thursday 28 June 2018 12:25:08 pm dep wrote:
> My first thought is to purge Unity and lightdm, but it might be that this
> won't solve the problem, and that someone here who is familiar with the
> macinations of X and such might have a sense of where there's a
> configuration file that is causing this to happen.
>
> Anybody know?

Specifics of X are outside my KB, but you could try reinstalling TDE to get
the configs back.:

# apt install --reinstall kubuntu-default-settings-trinity
kubuntu-desktop-trinity

Downside is you lose anything you've custom configured :(

It's also possible, as those are meta packages, that you'll need to

# aptitude show kubuntu-default-settings-trinity kubuntu-desktop-trinity

and then individually --reinstall select package(s).

If you're willing to --reinstall the whole box, there's Google posts on how to
do that with Ubuntu.

Post Script on power outs:
I've found it best to always (even if it's said it's not needed) to do all my
config changes, then do a reboot to 'lock' them in.  IDK, disk caching?, but
I've seen enough similar behavior (crash, even days later, and configs are
odd upon re-start) that I'd rather waste the 5 minutes for the reboot than go
digging back into xyz to re-find out how to set up something.

Best,
Michael