Re: cups or tde belly ache, kmail can't print to cheap brother lazer

On Thursday 14 June 2018 16:36:55 E. Liddell wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 13:03:02 -0400
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I am in the process od transitioning to stretch, and there are some
> > helpfull email messages I need to print.
> > .  But I need to print them on a brother HL-2140, about a penny a
> > sheet. not of the big ink squirter at 25 to 50 cents a sheet not to
> > mention its in pages per hour speed.
> >
> > But when I send something to the little brother, knotify  pops up
> > with the following message:
> > A print error occurred. Error message received from system:
> > Error while reading filter description for (bold>) true. Empty
> > command line received.
> >
> > This printer is shared and works fine from any other machine on my 6
> > machine home network, it only miss-behaves from kmail. Up to date
> > TDE r14.0.0.5 install.
>
> Does it work from other programs on that machine?

Yes as expected.
> Other TDE programs?
Anything, but usually from an editor like geany, on any machine of my
home network, and it just works.

> From the command line using lp?
I have done that  many hundreds of times, both by hand, and from a script
driven by drivewire, which is a com utility with a legacy computer.

> In kmail on the other machines?
This is ATM, the only kmail install in the local net, the other machines
are nearly all running some sort of a cnc controlled machine, with me
writing the gcode with geany, and I generally save the code as a paper
copy.  And except for kmail, printing an email, it Just Works.

> Are you using the Brother proprietary drivers?  They're flaky, and
> some of them were created for ancient versions of CUPS.  Try setting
> it up as a generic Postscript printer if you can.

No, tried hpjs and foomatic, foomatic is the cups recommended facility,
but hpjs fails similarly.

> (Maybe someone else will have some more specific ideas--I've had some
> interesting errors from my Brother multifunction, but not that one.)
>
> E. Liddell

I've wiresharked the data to an mfc-j6920.dw and had to grin a bit, when
sane tries to access its scanner, or the printer is being accessed, the
tcp command has a bad checksum the first 6 times the request is sent at
1 second intervals, but then fixes it and the printer wakes up and does
its thing, using the brother drivers in that instance. So I can
appreciate your assessment of their driver "quality". Its not the
greatest. But it sure beats the hell out of an epson that clogs its
heads forever in a few weeks. And the expendables are considerably
longer lasting at about the same cost. This one also does tabloid sized
paper which is neat when its drawing me a logic diagram captured from
one of my machines and to get readable text (rockhoppers output is in
vsg) it still takes 6 to 8 pages of tabloid paper fed thru ps2poster
from inkscape.

Thanks E. Liddell.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett