Re: my vanishing root partition

On Monday 19 March 2018 21:03:17 Felix Miata wrote:
> William Morder composed on 2018-03-19 20:33 (UTC-0700):
> > mount | egrep -v "cgroup|rpc|tmpfs|^sys|on /dev|on /proc|on /sys|on /var"
> > /dev/sda1 on / type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
>
> How did this non-journaled / filesystem happen? Just go ahead and do your
> reinstallation, but be sure to format / EXT3 or EXT4, so you have
> journaling to assist in avoiding corruption in case of crashing or
> exhausting freespace. Make a note of freespace/consumed space as soon as
> you finish installation, then again after getting all your optional fonts
> installed, so you know how much space was consumed initially and then when
> ready to work.
>
> What is it you are running now, Jessie? I don't think I saw you mention it
> in this thread. What CPU, chipset and gfxchip (how old is it all)? Why
> 32-bit? How much RAM?

Yes, running Debian Jessie 8.10 or whatever is the most recent update. I was
wondering about how to format root. I am used to ext2 for root partition from
older Ubuntu versions, but I see everybody using ext3 or ext4 now, so this
might be part of the problem.

It is 32-bit because I installed a new motherboard, and that is all that was
available for cheap. I've always run 64-bit before.

Any quick commands to find out CPU, chipset and gfxchip? And yes, some of it
is old (I did say it's a Frankenstein), but my motherboard is pretty new.

Bill