Re: Re: "Start Job"

Am Freitag, 16. März 2018 schrieb William Morder:
> [...]
> Will this work for an i386 machine, as well? I did try installing Devuan, but
> without success (as it seems the process used by their installation disc
> wants to overwrite my home folder); I also gave exegnulinux, but that also
> was unsatisfactory.

If your home folder lives on the same partition as /, then you'll have some work to do :-)

> My current system is Debian Jessie, and runs pretty much like I want, except
> for some minor bugs. My biggest complaint is systemd, and I really want to go
> back to using sysvinit.
>
> Also: I wonder if it is possible to switch to Devuan without doing a complete
> reinstallation? i.e., after changing over to sysvinit, can I enable Devuan
> repositories (and disable Debian), then do something like
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> or whatever?
>
> Bill

You can move from debian jessie to devuan jessie without problems, just follow the guide https://devuan.org/os/debian-fork/stable-jessie-announce-052517 section "Upgrade". When you do the upgrade, please do it on a console, not on a X11 terminal.

Nik