advice for completion of a stunt

so, to see if i could do it, i've flashed ubuntu 13.04 to a 2012 asus nexus
tablet. to my surprise, wifi and such work. *not* to my surprise, i hate
hate hate the ubuntu default desktop and want to replace it as soon as i
can.

after some poking around (made more interesting by an onscreen keyboard
that comes and goes as it wishes, irrespective of whether text needs to be
entered, which is annoying when you don't need it and maddening when you
do), i got a terminal running and sought to install some of the
essentials. (by tradition, the first thing i install on a new linux system
is mc, because it is the best tool to get me out of whatever trouble i get
myself into.) and i discovered that all the repositories are now 404. am
hoping to find someplace where they are archived so as to severely edit my
sources list and get, among other things, tde. the corresponding debian
distro is raring.

it does sort of run (though about half the stuff is canonical trying to
sell me music and stuff, which i think they've stopped doing anyway) but
without a decent desktop i can't imagine how i can put it through its
paces. and yes, the icons are tiny, beyond the fact that ubuntu touch
kinds sucks in general. in tde i can make the icons bigger.

i'm hoping to justify the expenditure of time . . . and tun tde on a
tablet.
--
dep

The shortest distance between you and playing great acoustic guitar:
the great new instructional DVDs from Marjorie Thompson,
available at www.MarjorieThompson.com