reading notifications?

Hello all,

I connect to my school's vpn with openconnect (which requires root), then
connect to the shares from konqueror (smb://...), which does not.

I've tried to automate this a little with a bash script.

It first runs tdesu <openconnect_script>, then konqueror smb://...

My problem is that I need to run:

tdesu <openconnect_script> &

Then, I need to wait for that script to succeed before connecting to the
shares. I can't use wait{!} because the script does not terminate.

My current solution is sleep, which globaly works. I've noticed that if I
connect from a konsole I get a notification (new network tun0 found). I
wondered if I could read some event linked to that notification to start the
konqueror connect script.

Any idea?

Thierry