Re: Re: symbols visualize problem

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 08:13:03 -0800, Dave Lers wrote:
deloptes wrote:
Dave Lers wrote:

Istvan Gabor wrote:
Hello:

I have a simple plain text document that contains the following
symbols:
• − ⋆ ▷ ∘ ◯ ◯ □

In trinity applications (eg kwrite) they are not shown correctly.

Interesting. The symbols show up fine when reading your email, but
not
when composing a reply. They also show up fine when pasted into
Kate/KWrite, but not when I save them to a file. The problem for me
is
that I am not using utf8 encoding. If I switch KWrite Tools >
Encoding to utf8, all is well.

I set explicitly the the code table to utf-8 and it is looking good
in reply

Yes, I did not take it far enough. If I switch my email client to
utf8, all is well there too... Well almost, if I try to reply to
Jonesy? the only quoted text that appears in the compose window is the
footer added by the list server. Reading his message also looks
different, instead of mangled symbols there is only white space.

Please do not involve encoding setup issues into the problem I complained about. Certainly if you set your character encoding different the characters won't look right. In my case the file was saved in utf8 and open in utf8 mode.
Even the display fonts are the same. In legacy KDE 3.5.10 the symbols
look righth, in TDE 14.04 they don't.

Istvan