Re: kde desktop: no icons, no right click

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016, Slávek Banko wrote:

On Monday 07 of November 2016 18:15:11 Felmon Davis wrote:
hello,

tried to upgrade and ended up with a nest of problems.

I'm up and running Jessie but:

a) the Desktop shows no icons and
b) I cannot right-click - no response
c) I like setting the Console schema to taste; the setting does not
stick

I assume some config file is amiss or some kind of permissions
problem.

advice?

f.

You're doing an update during an active TDE session or from the console?
According to a) and b) it appears that the process kdesktop is not
running.

I found the problem.

the hint was, though I didn't understand it at the time, that after a while the desktop would populate with my whole home directory -- all of its files and folders!

google pointed me to the 'paths' variable in 'kcontrol' -- it was pointed to my home directory, not to 'Desktop'.

I corrected that and for now things seem back in shape.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree on.
		-- Napoleon Bonaparte, "Maxims"