Re: SOLVED partially (was: Kubuntu 14.04 and trinity:problems with wired network)

Slávek Banko composed on 2016-09-13 19:28 (UTC+0200):

Dave Lers composed:

Uwe Brauer wrote:

> I tried this already, the problem is that in Kubuntu 14.04 things are
> different, maybe caused my the switch to systemd.

> In 10.4 and 12.04 I had in /etc a file resolv.conf which contained
> the IP of the DNS server and in

> /etc/network/interfaces

> The static IP of the machine, the gateway etc.

I missed the start of this thread so my answer may be clueless. In
Jessie (and other systemd OS's?), static IP and DNS have moved to
/etc/dhcpd.conf. All I did to setup this machine was to add the
following to the bottom of dhcpd.conf:

interface eth0
static ip_address=192.168.0.8/24
static routers=192.168.0.1
static domain_name_servers=208.67.222.222 8.8.8.8

I wonder what created this? I can't imagine why a system would be configured for fixed IP and yet have an ostensible DHCP configuration file at all, much less specifying static configuration parameters. Does that installation also have /etc/sysconfig/interfaces, and if so, is it last written subsequent to /etc/dhcpd.conf? Or before?

...I hadn't tried "service networking restart", which generates a
warning. While networking was fine at this point, I ran the suggested
command which had no visible affect (networking still fine).

Ha, I still use the file /etc/network/interfaces, same way as I'm used
from previous versions of Debian. This is for me an unknown novelty. It
has some advantage over the interfaces file?

For the first time since Hermine, I booted host g5eas, which has both 16.04 and Jessie. Both are configured with static IP. Both have /etc/sysconfig/interfaces. Neither have /etc/dhcpd.conf.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/