Re: TDevelop build error

On Wednesday 29 May 2024 05:44:54 deloptes via tde-devels wrote:
> J Leslie Turriff via tde-devels wrote:
> > Heh.  All of my skills are in the IBM mainframe arena.  I know a teeny
> > bit about C++ and make, but beyond that I'm clueless; but I'd like to
> > learn, if only I could find a mentor.
>
> May be asking here is the best and fingers crossed to get someone to help.
> I can share my experience, but I had already a background in C/C++.
> Unfortunately as mentioned TDevelop tools are not fully working - I mean
> the build functionality. May be someone can share the experience.
>
> What you need to know for the starter is
> 1. C/C++ (introduction - there are good books also online)
> 2. make and cmake, but some projects still use automake and outside of TDE
> automake is widely used
> 3. you need a build environment based on your preferences.
> 4. go through some examples to get an idea how it works.
>    For example I wrote few years ago some examples how to use DBus
> (dbus-1tqt)
>    https://mirror.git.trinitydesktop.org/gitea/deloptes/dbus-1-tqt-example
>    This is pretty simple and does not need any automake or cmake.
>    The build is in the shell script - so you will find out how to compile
>    simple binary
>    There are also other examples on the WIKI
> 5. in the repo there are the Debian build scripts by Michele, however he is
> using another build system and I wrote my own build system based on make
> files, but you are using OpenSUSE (RPMs), so might be not of any advantage
> for you

	That's right; and learning stuff like make, let alone automake and cmake, is
incredibly frustrating for me because tutorials all seem to go from the
trivial Hello World level straight to levels that I find incomprehensible.
	I guess I will go back and read again the old QT3 Development book, which
IIRC covers designing GUIs manually; but right now, TDevelop seems useless,
failing with this library incompatibility error; and the Designer crashing
outright.

Leslie
--
Platform: Linux