Re: Build requirements

On 5/18/24 7:20 AM, Michele Calgaro via tde-devels wrote:
32 bit builds are still supported, as long as required libraries are provided by the distro in question (for example in Ubuntu it is not possible due to lack of required libraries for i386, but in Debian it is still ok).
Cmake 3.5 is fine.

I don't think there is an *updated* list of build requirements on the wiki, or at least I am not aware of any. There may be some very old pages from the stone age or so, so likely to be incomplete/wrong.

TDE seems a good fit for dual core systems with 4 GB or less of RAM. Often that means using a 32-bit distro. I have such a system running Slackware 15.0 32-bit. Seems like some testing should be done with 32-bit to ensure TDE can function on such systems for as long as practical. I presume some of you folks build 32-bit packages?

Anyway, I found part the cause of the problems here. Somehow, who knows how, some of the build scripts got corrupted in a way that I can't detect. Those specific files can't be read in a 32-bit environment and the file command affirms that. Basically the scripts can't launch. Just weird. I cat'd and renamed the contents to new files and that seemed to resolve this 32-bit issue.

Another problem is some build scripts were formatted with Windows line feeds. I have no idea how that happened.

Head scratching territory.

I have made no progress with TDE on vintage systems. That R14.0.12 built on these systems indicates something has changed since then. I don't know if the change is in TDE, my systems, or both.