Re: Code to list Konqueror windows and tabs

kdcop is good for examining, but I also found the dcop command very useful for making "maps" of where to look. The lists of objects and methods can be easier to read in your favorite editor, and the text files can make it easier to figure out what app has what DCOP capabilities. E.G., only some have an object that lets you get the window caption, even though they all lie and _claim_ that they do: if you call the "caption()" method of the "qt" object, you always get an empty string terminated with a newline.

Most apps have a separate process for every window. Alas for me, konqueror isn't one of them: it has multiple objects that expose _some_ of its windows, but nowhere near all, or even most. And there's nothing about the tab titles.I need to find out how kicker knows what windows are out there, and how it pops them up when selected. I'm guessing that the windows get registered somewhere that kicker can query. I know the registration isn't with kicker, because I've had it crash a few times over the years, and it always gets its lists back when I start a replacement.

I do have my "find and pop up" command working now. It list captions for any type of app that exposes them through DCOP, with options to do a grep-ish filter on them and to pop up the one(s) that match. It's not very well commented, so it's not a great example, but if anyone wants a copy, let me know.

Ran