Re: TDE DNS problem

On Sun July 9 2023 10:49:10 Timothy Pearson via tde-devels wrote:
> Are you connecting over UDP or TCP?  I'm suspecting one of the upstream
> carriers to the datacenter hosting the DNS may be dropping UDP packets on
> certain routes -- if so, doing a traceroute from both locations and sending
> it over may help escalate the issue.  Are you seeing the same problem on
> both DNS servers (ns1 and ns2)?  They are on different physical hosts on
> different subnets with different routing.

Hi Tim,

The problem is happening with DNS lookups of archive.trinitydesktop.net
which relates to DNS servers ns1.websupport.cz, ns2.websupport.cz, and
ns3.websupport.eu.

I get fairly frequent DNS lookup timeouts from rsync on two USA servers
which are 15 hops apart but as yet have been unable to replicate the
problem with dig.  It may be a more basic networking flakiness between
USA and CZ but it's hard to diagnose because traceroutes to ns1.websupport.cz
routinely fail even while pings succeed - presumably because of some
unhelpful excessive firewalling.

I have not noticed any problems with your ns1.rptsys.com and ns2.rptsys.com
providing DNS for trinitydesktop.org.

Hope all is well with you!

--Mike