Re: avahi dependency

On Wed, 15 Feb 2023 18:23:22 -0500
Felix Miata via tde-devels <devels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Every PC I try to remove avahi from wants to disgorge most of TDE, even though all
> of them are running systemd-network with static configuration for eth0 and have no
> wireless hardware, just like my KDE3 installations that don't require avahi. What
> wouldn't work if avahi wasn't installed with TDE? Why does TDE require it?

Avahi, from what I understand, is used for service discovery on the local network.
It's used to find things like network printers without forcing you to probe your
LAN with nmap.

It is an optional dependency of tdelibs, but whoever built the package for your
system built it with WITH_AVAHI on, and set up the dependency resolution
accordingly.  My copy was built with WITH_AVAHI off, and it hasn't caused
me any particular issues . . . but all the nodes on my LAN that I'm interested
in talking to have static IPs anyway.  If you have devices with variable IPs
on your local network, avahi probably makes your life easier.

E. Liddell