Autostart issues

Hi All,

I am experiencing some autostart issues:

* Certain $HOME/.config/autostart desktop files fail to launch.
* XDG NotShowIn is not honored in user XDG files.

Related files seem to include:

* tdelibs/tdeinit/autostart.cpp
* tdelibs/tdecore/kdesktopfile.cpp
* tdelibs/tdeio/tdeio/kservice.cpp

I found two related bug reports (2284, 2297).

For the first issue, digging deeper indicates perhaps the Exec= directive in autostart desktop files is not parsed explicitly. Rather than execute the entire line in the Exec= entry, the code seems to be based on a presumption of only expecting traditional path strings. This means desktop files with 'Exec=/bin/sh -c' snippets fail to launch. I have a few such files and this took me a long time to identify.

For a long while I thought the files were being ignored. Instead they fail to launch. One clue was in the user .xsession-errors log that TDE was unable to parse the Exec= entries.

One work-around is convert the 'Exec=/bin/sh -c' snippets to shell script files. Doable but these snippets function as expected in other desktop environments. I suspect the code with other DEs is executing the entire Exec= line verbatim rather than trying to parse an executable from a presumed path. So this seems to be a TDE issue.

I'll file a bug report for this problem if I receive confirmation.

I think the NotShowIn issue is caused by code that tries to remove duplicates in the collected list of autostart files. I addressed that issue in bug report 2297. Basically the user files are being removed as duplicates and never execute, creating the illusion of being ignored.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time!

D.A