Re: UI design review?

On 2022/09/02 11:56 PM, bobsmith432--- via tde-devels wrote:
Hey, just wanna start off by saying I love Trinity Desktop, easy to use and fast on a Pentium 4 with little than a gigabyte of RAM, that's what good coding runs like :D

I was reading https://www.trinitydesktop.org/development.php and noticed one of the listed things that Trinity needed assistance in was UI design review. What exactly needs to be reviewed in the terms of UI design? I know people like to say Trinity looks outdated, and although that is kind of true, the Breeze theme from Q4OS modernizes it quite a bit and that could be used as a basis for an optional "modernized" theme. (maybe during setup give the user the choice between the new modern theme and the classic themes)

I own a 16:10 ThinkPad, folding tablet laptop, modern curved 1080p monitor and a 5:4 monitor so it's pretty safe to say I could test all sorts of UI designs and layouts functionality-wise, but design wise I'll go ahead and say I'm a bit younger and I still think the KDE 2.x theme looks great, but I'll be open to test and use any sort of theme if it helps.

I don't code but I am pretty fluent in just generally knowing what good UI/UX looks and functions like (although I am a bit biased towards the old Windows UI) and can test many different things on new and old hardware, so if help isn't needed there but somewhere else please let me know and I'd be glad to help!

- bobsmith

Hi Bob,
first of all, welcome to TDE and the mailing list!

Not sure where that comment about "UI design review" came from, it may be quite dated (and yes, some pages on the website are very old...). My take of it is that it means "going through the TDE UI and look for things to fix up", like missing icons, wrong menu entries, graphic inconsistency and so on. Quite a bit of work has been done in recent years to clean up the TDE UI, but happy for you to go through and report problems on TGW (https://mirror.git.trinitydesktop.org/gitea). TDE UI is unlikely to be totally changed, nevertheless we have added some new themes in recent times and if we have time (or volunteers) we are happy to add more choices for the users.

Cheers
  Michele