Re: script in /home/ (was: reboot delays for 90 seconds)

On Fri June 24 2022 05:32:18 Felix Miata wrote:
> Mike Bird composed on 2022-06-24 01:21 (UTC-0700):
> > /home is not a good place for a random "setup" script.
>
> It's conveniently there for any ordinary user, all of which are me, to
> change at will, on a multiboot system on which /home/ is common to all
> installations. It's actually called from a symlink somewhere in /etc/X11/,
> the exact location of which varies by distro. Where would you put such a
> file?

Hi Felix,

The official answer would probably be /usr/local/bin although personally
I use /IMS-Tools for ancient historical reasons.

/home already has a well-defined use-case and down the line you may find
having a random script there interferes with some tool you might want to
use to monitor disk usage or clean temporary files or update profiles.

Of course you're the administrator of your systems and know them better
than I do but I wouldn't recommend anyone to copy your placement without
understanding the trade-offs.

--Mike