Re: taskbar issue, latest packages

said Michele Calgaro via tde-devels:
| On 2022/04/23 01:11 AM, dep wrote:
| > Hi, everybody . . .
| >
| > This may be a bug. I have my taskbar set with the tiny icons and
| > application names. Yesterday, after latest upgrade (which I do from
| > the near-stable branch daily), the names disappeard, leaving me with a
| > wad of tiny icons only. If in the Configure Kicker > Taskbar settings
| > I set the display to Text only, the tiny icons grow very dim but don't
| > quite disappear, but the text does not appear. I have made no changes
| > other than upgrade/update.
| >
| > This is on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS running R14.0.12 [DEVELOPMENT].
| > --
| > dep
|
| Hi dep,
| make sure you are editing the config of the correct taskbar. There is a
| "global taskbar" settings and a "per taskbar" settings.
| There has been no changes to that area so maybe something else messed up
| for some reasons?

Thanks, Michele.

I got it fixed, but it was a strange repair. In KControl > Configure Kicker
> Configure the arrangement of the panel, I for no particular reason just
now changed it from bottom center to bottom left. (Actually, there *was* a
reason -- it was to make the "Apply" button clickable. When Kicker dies,
as it occasionally, to bring it back to life I need to do something in
KControl to make "Apply" come to life. Clicking it then restarts Kicker.)
Anyway, when I moved the configuration location from center to left, the
previous, desired, taskbar configuration returned. (It doesn't matter
which of the bottom positions is chosen, normally, because I have length
at 100 percent anyway.)

No idea if this has anything to do with any bug, or if it's unique to my
installation, which has been updated/upgraded over an existing install
since, I think, kubuntu 12.04, so it may well have some artifacts. It's
possible that it is a wonder it runs at all.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/