Re: Mirror growing fast

On Wed October 20 2021 05:23:53 Slávek Banko wrote:
> you can notice that the older listing was in a state where there was a set
> limits that for mirror system are not published older versions (3.5.x) and
> packages for "master" branch (deb/trinity-testing). Later, when you earned
> more space for mirror, these limits were removed.
>
> In recent days, there could be some increase in size because builds for
> Bookworm + Sid were separated from Bullseye. In the near future, we will
> do the creation of repository for Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy).
>
> For deb/trinity-testing, this is the basis on which repository for R14.1.x
> series will be separated. It is therefore a space that will definitely be
> needed sooner or later. We expect the release of R14.1.0 next year.
>
> If this will seem useful, we can consider re-setting limits, for example
> for old version 3.5.x.

Hi Slávek,

Maybe the mirrors don't need to handle the entire archive.

For example right now moving testing around to a bunch of mirrors is
probably a waste of electrons because by the time it arrives it is
already out of date and the only people using testing are either
deliberately or via the redirector pulling from the master server.

We could also consider retaining but not mirroring older releases.
If anyone needed them they could be pulled from the master server
directly or via the redirector.

The mirror is at 400GB now and the German mirror seems to be struggling
some days.  I can fairly easily expand the primary mirror to 600GB so
I'm good for a while.  After 600GB or maybe 700GB I might have to move
the primary to a different provider again.

Separate from mirrors, how are we doing for backups?  Where do we stand
if the master server was hit by a meteorite?

--Mike