Re: Trinity on a UHD Monitor (3840x2160 pixels)

Hi Slávek!

Anno domini 2021 Thu, 30 Sep 10:07:49 +0200
 Slávek Banko scripsit:
> On Thursday 30 of September 2021 08:55:48 Felix Miata wrote:
> > Stefan Krusche composed on 2021-09-29 10:10 (UTC+0200):
> > > $ cat .Xresources
> > > Xft.dpi: 102
> > >
> > > This file is automatically read when X is started and before TDE is
> > > lauched by the user and sets the DPI resolution as requested:
> > >
> > > $ xrdb -query -all | grep -i dpi
> > > Xft.dpi:        102
> >
> > Xft.dpi is the means by which TDE-Control -> Appearance -> Fonts: "Force
> > DPI for fonts:" is applied. When this is used, it is stored in
> > ~/.trinity/share/config/kcmfonts as forceFontDPI= under [General]. With
> > TDE closed, you can put any number you please here and it will stick.
> >
> > Not app apps are affected by Xft.dpi. Xft.dpi is the "knob" by which
> > Gnome/GTK font scaling is applied. If you wish non-adherent apps to use
> > your specific DPI, X itself needs a DPI forced. Various methods can do
> > this:
> >
> > 1-DisplaySize in /etc/X11/xorg.con* can do it.
> > 2-The xsession startup script can do it with a -dpi switch.
> > 3-Xrandr can do it with -dpi option either via startup script, which
> > will affect the entire session, or after startup, by which it will only
> > affect apps started after running it. This latter method can be helpful
> > in choosing an optimal value.
>
> Question: It could be useful to add another usual resolutions of HIDPI
> monitors to the list of resolutions in TDE Control Center?
>
> Cheers

At least 150 would be nice. But the problem with the DPI settings is that the GUI elements don't grow accordingly. e.g. scrollbar width is fixed in pixels, the movable pane seperator is fixed in pixels, some spacing of GUI elements is fixed in pixels, icons are pixels etc. Decorations like "Plastic" have even the scrollbar width harcoded.

The other thing is the mouse cursor size and theme: On 300dpi display you need at least 48 pixel, better 64 pixel or more. And it needs to be set for GTK2/3 and X11, too.

Nik