Re: [opensuse] libimobiledevice on a desktop PC?

Anno domini 2021 Sun, 11 Apr 12:06:30 -0700
 Mike Bird via tde-devels scripsit:
> On Sun April 11 2021 11:41:30 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > if [ -d /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0 ]; then echo LAPTOP; else echo
> > MAYBENOLAPTOP; fi
>
> Works OK on newer laptops but not on some older models.  Does
> it need ACPI/SuperFish?

Well, it works as long as there is some battery interface. I'm quite sure you need ACPI for this, in my case the thinkpad acpi kernel module. I have never seen a laptop with a battery that does not provide charging status and capacity information, so most likely any laptop that is supported by linux will be detected as laptop. What you cannot detect that way are UPS of any kind like in the raspberrypi laptop (pitop).

> FWIW we use Debian and our newer laptops don't have upower or
> libimobiledevice6 installed so the requirement in opensuse may
> possibly be an avoidable packaging artifact if someone wants
> to investigate further.

I don't have upower or whatever laptop-special stuff on devuan installed, ether.

Nik